Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
Retail Brew keeps 180,000 retail professionals up to date on the latest retail news and insights, and we’re looking for an editor to prepare longstanding retailers for an always-on world—and decode the disrupters who are shaping the industry.
This is both a strategic and hands-on role that will allow you to shape an exciting retail publication.
Through reporting, Retail Brew helps retailers—both legacy and startups—transition from a passive relationship with their customer to an active, always-on relationship.
By exploring topics like supply chain, corporate strategy, store operations, e-commerce, payments, and other areas that keep retail executives awake at night, Retail Brew helps an industry—one that is at an inflection point—make better decisions for their businesses.
Your role as editor: to oversee all things Retail Brew.
Morning Brew is based in New York City but this role is remote-friendly for all candidates.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Retail Brew newsletter production process, including assigning/approving stories, editing pieces, and writing headlines
- Manage, coach, and develop a team of reporters
- Generate, develop, and execute ideas for non-newsletter and other special editorial projects
- Serve as a strategic decision-maker to support growth, engagement, integrated marketing, and sales goals
- Write stories as needed
- Enforce Morning Brew editorial guidelines, editing content for substance, tone and voice, and copy
- Support optimization of existing processes and establish new ones, as needed
- Implement insights based on audience trends
What makes you qualified?
- At least 8 years of professional editorial experience
- At least 5 years experience managing a team of writers
- Ability to write in the Morning Brew style (engaging, informative, clever)
- Flexible worker who is equally motivated by strategic, long-term thinking and hands-on execution.
- Ability to intentionally experiment with, iterate on, and make hard decisions about new product offerings.
- Excellent communication skills with a mindset for collaboration.
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment with tight deadlines.
- Understanding of how to leverage multiple platforms (email, social media, etc.) to engage with the target audience.
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
How We Treat Each Other:
• Respectful Candor -- We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
• Empathy -- We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
• Inclusivity -- We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
How We Treat Our Work:
• Curiosity -- We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
• Accountability -- We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
• Bias Toward Action -- We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
• Challenger Mentality -- We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
• Clarity of Purpose -- We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
U.S Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
Family planning: Want to join #brewparents? Generous paid parental leave and fertility coverage for eligible employees.
Employee resource groups: Black Coffee, LGBTQ Brew, AAPI Brew, Cafe Con Leche, and Grounded... plus more!
Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll reimburse you.
Subscribe to Rise newsletter