About The Role:
The Senior Development Officer (SDO), Portfolio Manager partners with colleagues leading VentureWell programs to secure funding from philanthropic and federal sources. Focusing on a specific portfolio of programs, the SDO will build an in-depth understanding of the programs and existing funder relationships, help to identify and assess new opportunities, and lead the collaborative development of concept notes, proposals, funder reports, and presentations required to cultivate, secure, and steward funding. This individual will be adept at synthesizing information into compelling written materials and will direct and coordinate the contributions of multiple people into a cohesive whole.
As the primary liaison between the Growth Strategy and Development (GSD) team and the assigned programs, the SDO will maintain a bird’s eye view of relevant development activity and ensure that all work is completed successfully. They will provide excellent customer service and critical thought partnership to the relevant programmatic leaders internally at VentureWell, ensuring they feel understood and well-supported in growing and maintaining funding for their programs. This individual will leverage their development expertise to help programmatic leaders realize their growth goals, as opposed to creating and executing their own development strategy.
We seek to hire two individuals to each support separate program portfolios: (1) VentureWell’s higher education innovation programs, such as our Course and Program grants, and (2) VentureWell’s commercialization programs, such as our work on the NIH RADx program, as well as research and evaluation initiatives. These positions are fully remote and will report to the Director of Development.
Lead Internal Collaboration:
- Lead collaboration within the GSD team and with programmatic leaders focused on relevant program portfolios, including delegating and assigning work across the portfolio
- Collaborate with programmatic leaders to identify and assess new funding opportunities and strategize about how to pursue them
- Serve as overall project manager for the relevant program portfolio, including proposals, reports, concept notes, and any other written materials and deliverables
- Drive the overall proposal process from start to finish across the portfolio
- Ensure strong proposals that align to the RFP or funder request, demonstrate expertise in the content area,
- Serve as lead writer on proposals and ensure the strength of all proposals across the portfolio through process management
- Study, internalize, and bring expertise on each funding opportunity into the collaborative process of ideation and design
- Ensure strong program design at the intersection of funder needs and program team desires, whether through direct collaboration or delegation
What You Bring:
- At least 5 years of development experience is required.
- At least 3 years of experience leading the development of exceptional grant and partnership proposals to a variety of funders, including federal agencies, is required.
- Excellent written communication skills, specifically in writing proposals and funder communications
- Evidence of strong performance working in a remote work environment is preferred but not required.
- Experience managing development processes from beginning to end while meeting multiple competing deadlines and assigning work along the way
- Strong oral communication skills and ability to synthesize information from different stakeholders for effective decision-making
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally and building strong working relationships
Across the Board, VentureWell Staff:
- Are able to succeed and thrive in an environment with competing and changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Have track records of and ability to build solid collaborative working relationships, and are proven team players who enjoy a “customer service” orientation to collaboration
- Are committed to embedding equity in our internal practices and culture and in our programs in order to live and achieve our mission
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are curious and committed to issues of environmental sustainability
- Are self-starters with excellent attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Are active learners who independently learn new tools and work processes quickly
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including:
- Salary range of $90,000-$105,000 commensurate with experience and internal equity
- 403(b) plan with 200% match up to a maximum contribution from VentureWell of 10% when the employee puts it 5% (eligible after one year of service for the match)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- $1,000 home office stipend upon hire
- A true focus on work-life balance with work weeks that reflect that
- It’s our aim for our employees in this position to work a 35-hour workweek, although flexibility is sometimes required
- 20 paid vacation days PLUS the week off between Christmas and New Years
- 12 paid wellness days
What We Offer:
- A culture where people work intentionally and collaboratively in pursuit of our mission
- Values we believe in
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion