Substack is looking to build out the writer capabilities of our iOS app. As the first iOS engineer on the Top Publisher Team, you’ll be responsible for shaping and delivering our writer-facing iOS roadmap. We are looking for an engineer who is excited to work closely with product, design, and writers themselves to go from zero to one with mobile writer features.
Substack’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity, and exceptional benefits. Our cash compensation salary range for this role is $175,000 - $215,000. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Develop the core Substack iOS app for writers, using Swift. Substack is a dynamic organization and product and we expect that engineers can jump into many areas of the product to deliver value for writers.
- Collaborate with designers, writers, support staff, and many others. From product concept and research to implementation and deployment, we expect you to own your work end-to-end and deliver high quality solutions.
- Work directly with customers to solve their problems. As a company and writer-facing product team, we work closely with writers and our customer support and partnerships teams to deeply understand writer needs.
- Our iOS app is mostly built with UIKit and Swift, with more recent development being done in SwiftUI and the latest iOS technologies
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience shipping high quality iOS apps to the App Store.
- Independent and autonomous. We’re too small to micromanage, and expect that every person at the company owns their work and can be a leader.
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard when working on production systems.
- Take pride in building elegant and delightful product experiences. Substack works best when it gets out of the way so writers can focus on writing and connecting with their readers.
- Enjoy collaboration with a diverse group of thinkers while bringing your own unique experience and background to the team.
- Belief in Substack’s mission to build a better business model for writing.
- Experience shipping iOS applications at a fast-growing startup is a plus but is not required.
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or transgender status), age, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.