Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
We’re looking for an energetic and experienced Assistant Social Media Editor to create social content for Morning Brew’s handles across multiple platforms. The job is perfect for someone with a news background, a creative mindset, and a deep understanding of social platforms and internet culture. A background in design, and experience with Photoshop and Canva are a must. Video editing experience and an understanding of TikTok would be ideal.
The Assistant Social Media Editor will be responsible for the production of content on Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok. They’ll be expected to produce a large volume of content for several accounts, juggle multiple assignments and deadlines at the same time, jump between platforms, and help launch new accounts and editorial initiatives. The role requires experience with producing content for Instagram, and pivoting between written and multimedia formats.
You’re our ideal candidate if you are obsessed with internet culture. You speak meme and are fluent in the latest TikTok trends. You find inspiration and fresh ideas in unusual corners of the social media universe, but are well-versed in more traditional platforms, like Twitter and Facebook too. You are a detail-oriented person with an eye for design, excellent writing skills, and news judgement.
The Assistant Social Media Editor will report to the Senior Social Media Editor.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day:
- Producing posts for Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.
- Creating design assets for Instagram, in post and story formats.
- Posting Instagram Reels and IGTV videos (some light video editing may be required).
- Writing Instagram captions, tweets, and TikTok copy.
- Captioning and posting TikTok videos. Organizing files and workflows.
- Contributing to team brainstorms, bringing ideas and inspiration for all platforms.
- Working closely with the editorial and multimedia teams to support inter-departmental initiatives, launches, new verticals, and accounts.
- Working daily in social management, analytics, and listing tools such as: SocialFlow, Hootsuite, EchoBox, Dash Hudson, Later, Sprout Social, Sprinklr, Parse.ly, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Google Analytics, NewsWhip, and more.
What makes you qualified?
- 1-2 years of experience in social media management/production for a news or media organization.
- Excellent writing skills: The ability to write quickly and accurately in Morning Brew’s voice.
- Experience with the social media platforms, and understanding of all the ins and outs of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn.
- Experience with Photoshop and Canva, and an eye for design.
- Basic video editing skills (cutting, captioning, light edits). Experience with Adobe Premiere.
- Experience with social management, analytics, and listing tools such as: SocialFlow, Hootsuite, EchoBox, Dash Hudson, Later, Sprout Social, Sprinklr, Parse.ly, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Google Analytics, NewsWhip, and more.
- A passion for internet culture, memes, trends, and finding new ideas in unusual corners of the internet.
- Attention to detail and a passion for proofreading before an editor looks over your work.
- A drive to work independently and practice good time-management.
- A game-for-anything attitude, a can-do mindset, and the ability to thrive in collaborative environments.
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
How We Treat Each Other:
· Respectful Candor -- We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
· Empathy -- We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
· Inclusivity -- We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
How We Treat Our Work:
· Curiosity -- We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
· Accountability -- We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
· Bias Toward Action -- We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
· Challenger Mentality -- We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
· Clarity of Purpose -- We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll pay for it.
Subscribe to Rise newsletter