San Francisco, CA; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Remote
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
This role is fulfilling for those who thrive in dynamic teams that seek to make an impact through their proactive and solution-oriented mindset. Going the extra mile to deliver exceptional service is never an afterthought, as you always put yourself in the customer's shoes. Sometimes you won't know the correct answer, but you are the kind of person who is always up for the challenge. We can't promise it will be easy. We can promise it will be time well spent.
Our success in the Payroll Customer Engagement team is driven by the personal responsibility taken on by each of our advocates to drive authentic interactions through phone, email, and chat. Our advocates take pride in finding resolutions to some of the most complex payroll and tax questions from our small business owners. With their passion, insight, and customer advocacy, this team has helped us maintain a high NPS score while serving tens of thousands of businesses.You'll gain skills and experience working on behalf of one of the most exciting payroll and benefits platform for small businesses. At Gusto, we commit to providing the resources and transparency to breed success through ongoing learning, development, and reflection on performance.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- You will own customers' inquiries from start to finish while keeping the customer updated at all times during the resolution process. While you can expect to primarily be on our live inbound phone channel for the entirety of your shift, a Payroll Customer Care Advocate should be prepared to flex on to our email and/or chat channels based on business needs.
- You will be expected to work a full-time 40 hour/week schedule during our hours of operations.
- You will meet the quality and productivity standards necessary to meet Gusto’s business standards for superior customer service and performance progression.
- You will work in close collaboration with other advocates as well as collaborate across the company in order to influence product development.
- You will deliver exemplary customer service using a “search first” mentality, ensuring comprehensive research of a question is carried out through our various internal resources channels before asking for further support.
- You will expand your critical thinking skills and knowledge in order to answer progressively more challenging/complex customer inquiries.
- You will stay up-to-date with new products/features and be able to consistently communicate these updates to customers in a way that ensures an exceptional customer experience.
- You will be flexible in order to accommodate annual volume spikes ranging from December through March where we require additional weekend overtime and blackout periods for paid time off in order to provide the best service possible to our customers during the most critical time of the year for small business owners.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Experience: You have 2 - 4 years of experience within the call center, technology, retail, hospitality space and are seeking a new challenge. Up to 2 years experience in the Payroll and Taxes space.
- Technical Ability — You must feel comfortable working with multiple and perhaps new technologies in a digital-first environment (tools such as Salesforce, Slack, Confluence, NICE Workstation are used often). You will navigate multiple digital systems and use customer data to inform decisions.
- Collaborative: A consummate teammate, ready to wear multiple hats, inspire those around you, and work collectively while priding yourself in maintaining a professional brand and image.
- Accountable: A proactive problem solver with incredible critical thinking skills, comfortable with a role heavy in customer interaction. Takes pride in seeing customer interactions through from start to finish.
- Manages Stress Effectively: You're an autonomous problem solver with a personality that thrives in a dynamic environment. You are not afraid to ask for help when the clock is ticking, but you always check your resources before sending out the call.
- Reliable: Individuals should take pride in showing up to work not only for yourself but for our customers. You’re proud of your perfect attendance award from grade school!
- Ethical: You hold true to your values of providing top-tier customer service. You are self-motivated to continuously strive towards improvement to better the success of our team and our customers. Shortcuts should never be taken.
- Great written and verbal communicator: You are a confident communicator and methodical thinker. You consistently demonstrate exceptional writing and verbal communication skills and are adept at explaining technical concepts to a wide range of audiences. You understand the importance of listening to the customer before delivering service.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity-based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $22.12/hr - $25.01/hr in Denver & most remote locations, and $26.98/hr in San Francisco & New York. Remote locations will vary based on our geographical pay approach. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate location, experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.